I first tasted this dish at Neil Perry’s Spice Temple in Sydney which if memory serves me right is called Eggplant with Three Flavours, but to me it’s just Eggplant with Pork Sauce. I fell in love with it, found the recipe and tried re-creating it a few more times times at home. It’s a pretty simple dish to make at home, with the only challenge being in the balancing of flavours which can be a matter of personal taste. I’ve tinkered with it a few times on the road and I think I’ve adapted it so that the cost of recreating it is lower and the flavour substitutes are easily accessible and acceptable without compromising flavour..too much. It may be difficult to find bean paste such as in the original recipe, but it can easily be substituted with something else or just use soy sauce and sugar as a last resort.
Ingredients (for two)
- 1 x large Eggplant
- 2 x tablespoons of Salt
- 300g or pork mince
- 2 x packets of 2min noodles
- 2 x tablespoons of oil (if you have no oil then just brown the mince in no oil. There should be enough fat in the mince to cook and brown it but it will take a bit more time)
- 1 x head of garlic
- 1 x finely diced onion
- 1 x cup of coriander leaf – loosely chopped
- 3 x teapsoons of the coriander stalks chopped
- 2 x flavour sachets from the packets of 2min noodles.
- 2 x tablespoons of soy sauce if you have any.
- 1/4 cup of sugar.
- 1 x finely chopped chilli. Remove the seeds if you don’t want it too hot.
- 3 x cups of water.
- Slice the eggplant lengthways and apply lots of salt to the flesh. This draws the moisture out along with any bitterness. Leave for 30mins and then wash the salt off thoroughly.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and throw in the the cloves of garlic with skin and all. Boil for 10 x minutes. This removes the harshness of the garlic and you end up with a mellow creamy garlic flavour and texture. Remove the garlic form the water and add the 2min noodles to soften through.
- Brown the pork mince and half of the diced onion mixture.
- When sufficiently browned, add the 2min noodle flavour sachets, soy, sugar and water. Bring to the boil and scoop off any impurities that float to the surface in the first 5 mins. Add the coriander stalks and then reduce to a slow simmer for 20mins.
- In a pot, boil about 500m of water. If you have a steamer or a strainer that fits into the pot then use that to steam the eggplant. If you don’t try flipping a bowl and using it in the pot as a pillar and place the eggplant on a plate that will fit into the pot on top of the bowl. Worst case scenario, you can just microwave the eggplant.
- Remove the skins from the garlic and chop finely. Mix with the remaining onion mixture along with the coriander.
- assemble the eggplant into a bowl, pour the pork mince sauce over and add the garlic, onion and coriander on top. At the table it should all be mixed in nicely so you get a mouthful of everything.
- Serve with the boiled plain 2min noodles.
This section of JimmyEatsWorld is dedicated to those want to be creative with their meals without breaking the bank. Those who want to get the most out of the limited ingredients available when on the road, on a budget or faced with a limited choice such as being gluten free.
I am looking for contributors who can share their own recipe ideas on how to create the tastiest meals. Whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacking, in the bush or what to do with leftover food.