This week’s recipe submission is by Rob and Kellie from Hungry Escapades who are a currently planning their global adventure which will kick off in December. Being fellow food lovers, I’ve been enjoying their weekly recipes and they were happy to submit this special recipe.
We are on a mission to prove that budget doesn’t have to mean bland! We love our culinary delights, but in our travel savings mission we decided to drastically cut our slightly excessive food budget. We quickly realised that this didn’t mean we had to sacrifice on quality or flavour.
As a couple we now spend less than £50 ($90) a week on groceries (including food, toiletries and everything else for the house) and most weeks we are closer to £40 ($75) mark. The key is to use fresh ingredients, which means fantastic meals at bargain prices. We are also pretty savvy with food and keep the bills down by making more than we need and freezing it for a later date or taking it for lunch the next day. You would be amazed how small changes like this can make such a big difference to costs.
Spicy lemon and parsley pasta
This dish is so easy and has very few ingredients, plus once you have prepped it only takes around 15 minutes to cook, ridiculously quick!! You may be thinking ‘pasta sauce?? are they insane, anyone can cook that’ but trust me the last-minute addition of fresh parsley and lemon really sets this apart from a run of the mill sauce. We buy a whole pack of bacon (good quality) so we can treat ourselves to a delicious bacon buttie at the weekend.
• 225 g spaghetti
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 red onion
• 150 g bacon
• 1 or more chilies (depends how spicy you like it)
• 1 red pepper chopped into bite-sized pieces
• 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (add approx 3 quarters of the tin)
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• 1 large bunch of parsley, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil over a medium heat in a heavy-based pan, one that’s big enough to eventually add all the cooked pasta to later. Chop the bacon into bite-sized pieces first. Fry the bacon until crisp, add the onion, chilli and peppers. Cook for 2 minutes, than add the tin tomatoes and season.
3) When the pasta has finished cooking, add the pasta to the sauce in the pan. Toss everything together well and add some of the pasta cooking water if it needs it.
4) Right at the end squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon and add the parsley.
That’s it, you’re done! A lovely spicy and zesty meal in minutes. Enjoy!!
This section of JimmyEatsWorld is dedicated to those want to be creative with their meals without breaking the bank. Those who want to get the most out of the limited ingredients available when on the road, on a budget or faced with a limited choice such as being gluten free.
I am looking for contributors who can share their own recipe ideas on how to create the tastiest meals. Whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacking, in the bush or what to do with leftover food.